I am about to answer the question as written but in fact if you focus solely on being the best in business and have someone monitor the opposition you do not literally have to go out and sink them! What will happen is your market share increases with the following ideas. By default the opposition flounders as you take the top spot…
1. Visualise the sinking of the Spanish Armada (unless you are Spanish of course). The aim was to out-gun and out-manoeuvre the opposition which requires inspired leadership, a great fleet of ships, great guns, excellent training, great luck with the weather as on this occasion, discipline and good telephone selling techniques.
2. The competition very often, if not most often, will not have the best telephone selling techniques. I can pretty much assure you of that. Telephone selling and telemarketing is huge across the land and standards of telesales training and sales coaching are variable at best and as you will have witnessed when receiving such calls sometimes non-existent. Sometimes you feel the caller is being paid to infuriate you with verbal diarrhoea and pseudo-happiness about serious subjects. Why not be one up or several up on this level of telephone garbage? Getting the best telephone sales techniques running in your team will get you more sales. Your team were not born with telephone sales skills pre-loaded. They usually need plenty of help and guidance.
3. “I only employ people with the ‘gift of the gab’ so they don’t need a telephone marketing or telesales coach”. I often hear this. Sadly the people with the gift of the gab are usually motor-mouths, loud, aggressive and with a tendency to bully their way through a sales presentation. Bigger picture telephone sales techniques have nothing to do with these attributes and rely on a very much smarter approach which can be seamlessly employed by open-minded and disciplined telephone sales call operatives. If you want good quality repeat orders on whatever you are selling this is the way forward rather than implying everything your company sells has fallen off the back of a lorry this morning and for one day only.
4. “My sales manager has an MBA in business studies.” Well good for him, but no amount of scholarship is going to prepare anyone for the cut and thrust of a vibrant and effective sales career on the phone. Authentic, efficient and well tested rituals, techniques and advice are available from the best respected sales coaches. Accept no grey corporate imitations and be wary of highfalutin’ degrees except one in telephone sales techniques or opening and running a telesales department. (That’s right there isn’t yet a degree course in ‘ringing rooms’ but you do qualify after 25 years running sales rooms and introducing, testing and measuring many, many sales techniques, old and new).
5. In all fish and pond situations including if you are a very small fish in a very big pond then getting help with your telephone sales techniques will carry you nearer to being the king of the pond.Your intention should not be to sink the competition but if you can move towards larger market share then for sure your opposition are being gradually vanquished. So make sure it’s YOUR sales team that is benefiting from the very best telephone sales training in sales techniques not your competitors.
6. A thorny subject. How do some managers get given their positions? I have met very poor telesales managers of teams with as much experience as a frog on the phone. This article is about selling techniques but you really do need the right person at the helm to beat the Spanish Armada. The tip is be very careful what you wish for when promoting unqualified people to run the sales room. Get yourselves and your teams properly trained by someone who has literally pounded the beat of the telephone room for a working lifetime. This is unvarnished self promotion but relying on Sebastian’s gap year experience in a PPI claims department 6 years ago before he got a 2:1 in History of Art may not cut it in the harsh world of telephone sales. It may, but chances are it won’t.
7. Good selling techniques also depend on the make-up and abilities of your team. So going on from number 6 if you have poor managers they will be unable to do more than hire and fire under-performers and tell you how good Jo in the corner is, who has usually been with the company since time began and not a fair barometer. Good techniques come from people who have lived a life on the phone, anything else is trial and error, cajoling, threats, verbal and written warnings. Technique and discipline are king in telesales. Make sure you are working to produce a top team with top support.
8. Allow me to walk in your shoes for a minute. You have a couple of people responsible for new business or even if you have a whole army doing the job you may feel they are under-performing and the usual carrot and stick approach has lost its effectiveness. Slowly you are beginning to realise that maybe getting your team to adopt a disciplined approach with tried and tested telephone sales and telemarketing techniques might actually be the way forward? Try it and see. Stand back from the arena and talk with someone who may see things differently. Now that could be me or it could be the window cleaner. There will be techniques and skills in window cleaning I have yet to learn but with telephone sales I am given to believe I know my stuff and have successfully passed on this knowledge for many years to many SME companies.
9. Here is my favourite. In every office there are usually several people answering incoming calls invariably where no sales and customer service technique is in place, no discipline and no understanding of the importance of every single incoming call. This is where good techniques really will pay off. Someone who answers the phone in a detached, slovenly, or simply with the wrong tone of voice will be helping your competitors. Someone who is a hectoring know-all will drive your customer to the next man and so on. I have a long list of bad techniques including working on something else whilst talking. So get help in cultivating the best ways of answering the phone.
10. Maybe read through the above and list your ideas on techniques that you have discovered work. It’s about becoming the best you can become. By becoming the best you can become and at that stage great things can happen. If you have the techniques you have the answers so everything is probably fine? Little hinges swing big doors. One really genial response to an incoming enquiry on the office phone can turn your fortunes and win the day for your company. One off hand response can also swing a big door and sink your fleet. You are welcome to give me a call discuss the above. www.simonkenna.co.uk
July 30, 2019
April 18, 2019
March 25, 2019
February 8, 2019